While, yes, candy is the most common and usually most sought after Halloween prize, there are a lot of fun alternatives. Here is a list of some great ideas that can make your house special, unique, and different.
- Popcorn (especially the small poppable individual bags are fun for kids
- Granola Bars
- Cracker packs
- Fun pens or pencils
- Small Toys
- Hot Chocolate Packets
- Juice Boxes
- Glow Sticks
- Bouncy Balls
- Kazoos (although parents may hate you lol)
It could get kind of pricey otherwise, but if you have minimal amount of Trick-or-Treaters there are even more fun options…
- Hot Wheels or toy cars
- Fake Jewelry
- Coloring Books
- Hair Bows
- Play Doh
- a budget friendly fun idea would be have a bowl full of pennies and allow them to take a handful, it’s fun for them to see how many they can grab and as it is tiny kid hands it wouldn’t be very expensive.
Just a few things to keep in mind when you are deciding on this year’s treats and goodies…
- Homemade treats usually are not well received and often end up in the trash because parents are concerned about safety and sanitation issues so it’s usually best to avoid those kind of treats.
- Temporary Tattoos are also a fun candy alternative, just keep in mind that many parents might not approve or appreciate them.
- Perhaps if you are giving out candy, have a few alternatives for a child that may be allergic to certain ingredients
- Parents like Free treats too! If you are feeling a little extra generous this year, consider a bowl of more adult-oriented snacks for parents that are making the effort and spending time with their children. Things like small bottles of water to keep them hydrated, mints, granola bars, pens, bananas, mini hand sanitizer or lotion.
- If you are considering candy alternatives, obviously it is usually best to buy in bulk. Places like Sam’s Club, Costco, and even Amazon are great for saving a little money on your goodies. Oriental Trading Company is also a great place to buy small toys in bulk, just be sure to have your order placed with enough time for it to be shipped and arrive before Halloween.
What does your house give out?